Speeches



Jaipur, 05 March, 2016: Press release of my speech at “KEYNOTE IDEA FEST 2016”, organized by Rajasthan Patrika at Jaipur :

Union Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs & Minority Affairs Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi today said that Parliament, the most effective Constitutional institution of Indian democracy, should be used for people’s welfare but unfortunately, sometimes “destructive agenda” dominates “legislative agenda” in Parliament.

While speaking at “KEYNOTE IDEA FEST-2016, organized by Rajasthan Patrika, Shri Naqvi said that “development agenda” is being suffered due to this situation where “destructive agenda” is dominating “legislative agenda”.

Shri Naqvi said that the Congress is unable to digest the change in power even after two years and this is the reason behind baseless disruption in Parliament by that party. Shri Narendra Modi becoming the Prime Minister is like an ‘eyesore’ for the Congress. The people with “feudal mindset” think that to rule in the country is the right of a single family or they want to have this power through remote control.

Shri Naqvi said that when the NDA came to power at the Centre, the biggest challenge was to provide a system which is clean-transparent and free from corruption and scam. The NDA has been successful in this challenge. The Modi Government has shut down the “shops of power brokers and loot lobby’’ from the “corridors of power”.

Shri Naqvi said that those people are into depression due to blockade of “loot lobby” by the Modi Government as those people considered loot of public money as their “birth right”. These same people are using propaganda to obstruct the nation’s development by defaming the Modi Government.

Shri Naqvi said that people’s mandate must be respected in a Parliamentary democracy. Political selfishness has become one of the biggest hurdles into the path of country’s development; Bills related to progress and empowerment of the poor have been blocked.

Shri Naqvi said that the last two sessions of Parliament- Monson and Winter session- witnessed not only a loss of public money but also people’s welfare due to baseless disruption. It resulted into delay in passage of key “Reform Bills” such as Real Estate (Regulation & Development) Amendment Bill, 2013, The Anti-Hijacking Bill, 2014 and Good and Service Tax (GST) which are crucial for progress of the people and the country.

The Monsoon and Winter Sessions witnessed business loss of about 130 hrs and 9 minutes for Rajya Sabha; about 43 hrs for Lok Sabha while ruckus in Rajya Sabha caused a loss of more than Rs 143.36 crores during the two sessions and disruption in Lok Sabha led to a loss of more than Rs 64.03 crore to the state exchequer.

Shri Naqvi said that the similar situation in being witnessed in the on-going Budget session also where the Opposition, especially the Congress, is making every effort to obstruct nation’s progress. We have to seriously think about it. It is the duty of MPs, MLAs and other people’s representatives to fulfill aspirations of the common man. While there are 790 members in Parliament, there are 4580 members in state Assemblies and Councils. People’s trust in the democracy has been increased further.

In recent times, the people have become more aware due to campaigns by the various governments, non-government organizations, media and especially the Election Commission. The voters enthusiastically participated in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections and elections for various State Assemblies and other local bodies held later.

A total of 66.44 per cent voters’ turnout was recorded in the last General Elections, while it was 58.19 per cent in 2009; 57.65 per cent in 2004 and 61.97 per cent in 1998 Lok Sabha polls. This clearly reflects the people’s expectations from the democratic institutions-- Parliament, State Assemblies and others—have increased. This is a good sign for the India’s democracy. However, these growing expectations have also increased responsibility and accountability of political parties, politicians, Parliament, Assemblies, other institutions and people’s representatives.

Shri Naqvi said that result of the growing expectations from the people’s representatives is that, the people reject an MP or an MLA in next election if these representatives are failed to meet their expectations.

In the elections for the 16th Lok Sabha, held in April-May 2014, there were a total of 315 Members or 58 per cent of the House who had been elected for the first time to the Lower House of Parliament. It means the people did not give another chance to 42 per cent Members of the House in these elections. A total of 302 Members were elected to the Lok Sabha for the first time during 2009 General Elections.

There were 41 per cent first –time MLA in the October-November elections to the 243-Member Bihar Assembly. The 70-Member Delhi Assembly polls, held in February 2015, saw 70 per cent first-time MLAs. Several of these Members may have worked well for the people’s welfare but they were rejected by the people in elections. This reflects unpredictable mood of the electorate.

Shri Naqvi said that this is the responsibility of politicians to make honest efforts to fulfill their responsibility towards those who elect them. This includes utilizing the precious time of Parliament and State Legislatures for people’s welfare.

Shri Naqvi said that to keep a democracy strong, it is necessary that its Constitutional and other institutions must be strengthened and their autonomy is kept intact.

Shri Naqvi said that the Congress misused the Government agencies especially the CBI. Recent revelations in the Ishrat Jahan case have proved that the then Central Government misused this investigating agency for political purpose to frame Shri Narendra Modi and some other senior BJP leaders.

Shri Naqvi said that these disclosures have exposed “propaganda of political champions’’ who had been engaged in politics over sensitive issue of national security.

Shri Naqvi said that this is a shameful example of “hatred criminal conspiracy” against political opponent. “Captain of cluster of this criminal conspiracy” has been exposed.